Does striking out on your own seem scary? Is being in business for yourself terrifying? How do you know if it's going to work?
This 6-week course is specially designed for people who are interested in being self employed and want to explore if it's a good idea, and what would it take to make that idea a reality. Starting self employment careers can be daunting. During this course we'll explore what self employment might look like for you and do visioning work around what this would look like as a business. This process will include imagining what the day-to-day work looks like, as well as what the business finances will look like. We'll delve into some basic market research, marketing, and business planning to learn where your clients will come from and that at the end of the day, you'll be where you want to be financially. Then we'll move into how to get there from here and what that will take to start business.
By the end of this class you will know with confidence if you want to pursue self employment or not, and if you do pursue it, you'll have a concrete plan of how to move forward and start business!
Prerequisites for this class:
- Have at least one idea for a business, including but not limited to: self employment, freelancing, consulting, or private practice
- Be unsure about your next steps in starting self employment
Class Schedule: 6:30-8:30pm every Thursday for 6 weeks starting October 8th.
- Class 1: 6:30-8:30pm, October 8th
- Class 2: 6:30-8:30pm, October 15th
- Class 3: 6:30-8:30pm, October 22nd
- Class 4: 6:30-8:30pm, October 29th
- Class 5: 6:30-8:30pm, November 5th
- Class 6: 6:30-8:30pm, November 12th
Scholarships are available for those who qualify, please contact Maggie directly to apply.
* This class is designed around owner-operated business which require minimal to no startup financing. Example self employment careers are: freelancers, therapists, consultants, massage, yoga teachers, etsy-scale manufacturing. This class will not cover securing financing nor the formal business planning that's required by lending institutions. Business of the scale this class covers can successfully be launched by "boot-strapping" using the owner-operator's existing financial resources (e.g. surplus income or savings.) If you are unsure that this is the right class for you, please contact Maggie to clarify.